Sprung zur Navigation. Sprung zum Inhalt.

 
  Spanish
  French
  German
  Italian
  Turkish
  Polish

Karlsruhe: Welcome

The villages in the hills

 Grünwettersbach (picture: OV)

Grünwettersbach

Grünwet­ters­bach offers close proximity to the city at the heart of a village community. A record of the Protestant church in "Weter­spach" appeared for the first time in 1278. The entire area around the scattered village was covered in forests and very sparsely populated. In 1945 the population numbered 1399 inhabi­tants. First because of displaced persons/re­fu­gees and later due to brisk building activities, the number of inhabi­tants increased sharply and reached the 3000 mark in 1971. Bus lines connect Grünwet­ters­bach to the rest of the city. In addition, this district offers optimal connec­ti­ons to the motorway access Karlsbad and to the Südtan­gente.


 Hohenwettersbach

Hohenwettersbach

At around 230 metres above sea level and 116 metres above Karlsruhe, this local recreation area delights with plenty of fresh air. It is also referred to as "little Switzer­land". The population having grown through new develop­ment to around 2850, this child-friendly "high-flying" district has nonet­he­less retained its village character. Several playgrounds, a boules terrain, a beach volleyball court and a basketball court offer exercise oppor­tu­ni­ties for the young and the old. Hohen­wet­ters­bach is connected to the public transport system via a bus line.


 View of Palmbach (picture: OV)

Palmbach

Palmbach has been a district of Karlsruhe since 1975. It is located in the east of the city and is one of Karls­ru­he's higher-altitude districts. In close proximity to the centre but at the same time surrounded by nature, the former Waldensian village offers a high quality of life and leisure. Around 1800 people inhabit an area of 137.5 hectares. Due to new develop­ment areas, Palmbach keeps growing steadily. Public transport access to Palmbach is largely provided by buses. A nearby connection to the motorway enables Palmbach's citizens to reach the city centre as well as other desti­na­ti­ons quickly.


 View of Stupferich (picture: H. Pallasch)

Stupferich

Stupferich, indepen­dent until 1972, is located 9 km from the city centre and thus the district furthest removed from the city centre. Like the other incor­po­ra­ted villages, Stupferich is much older than Karlsruhe. Today, the district has around 2800 inhabi­tants and is a highly sought after housing location thanks to its charming landscape, advan­ta­geous climate, socially stable surroun­dings and good local infra­struc­ture. Its village character has remained intact at the core of the village. Over the last few decades, develop­ment areas have added to its size. The markedly indepen­dent village life which charac­te­ri­ses this village in the hills is supported by numerous associa­ti­ons.


 Wolfartsweier (picture: OV)

Wolfartsweier

Wolfarts­weier was first mentioned in 1261 as "Wolvol­des­wi­le­re". This district is located between Durlach, Hohen­wet­ters­bach and Grünwet­ters­bach. The road leading through the village separates it into upper and lower villages and for years caused consi­de­ra­ble noise pollution. The district bypass, opened in 2005, brought great relief. Wolfarts­weier is a district worth living in. The village contains one of the oldest churches in the surroun­ding areas and a daycare centre of unusual archi­tec­tu­ral design. The associa­ti­ons - sports or culture-oriented - offer a varied programme for young and old citizens.