Sprung zur Navigation. Sprung zum Inhalt.

 
  Spanish
  French
  German
  Turkish
  Polish

Karlsruhe: Welcome

Twin cities

 A graphical overview of Karlsruhe's twin cities on the map

Borders disappear. Emerging networks create connec­ti­ons between the countries in Europe. City partner­ships play an important role in this process. The city of Karlsruhe has five twin cities and also maintains a project partner­ship with the Croatian port city Rijeka. Many of these have since become tradi­tio­nal. In 2012, Karlsruhe celebrated its 20-year twin city anniver­sary with Krasnodar and Timioara as well as its 25-year twin city anniver­sary with Halle.


 

 Nancy, Place Stanislas

The connection between Karlsruhe and Nancy has been in place since 1955 and was one of the first partner­ships between German and French cities. It is still regarded as a model partner­ship today – both cities have received all possible inter­na­tio­nal twin city awards for it.

Read more zur Seite Nancy

 Robin Hood

Following the positive experi­ences with the French twin city of Nancy, Karlsruhe decided to add an English twin city of similar structure and size. The city of Nottingham was chosen.

Read more zur Seite Nottingham

 Marktplatz Halle (Halle's market place)

Thanks to the signi­fi­cant support provided by the then premier, Dr. Lothar Späth, Karlsruhe was able to establish contacts with Halle even before German reuni­fi­ca­tion. This bridge built between two German cities has proven to be extremely stable, parti­cu­larly in difficult situations.

Read more zur Seite Halle

 Krasnodar, Alexander Nevski Church

Existing, long-standing and friendly contacts played a decisive role in the decision of Karls­ru­he's City Council to establish a city partner­ship with the Russian twin city of Krasnodar in 1992.

Read more zur Seite Krasnodar

 Timioara Cathedral

Following the political upheaval in Romania and upon the initiative of then city councillor Günther Rüssel, the establis­h­ment of a city friendship with Timio­ara/Te­mesch­burg was initiated. In 1997, the official establis­h­ment of the city partner­ship was ultimately completed.

Read more zur Seite Timioara